Almond Butter French Toast
I can't get enough of this easy, gluten and dairy-free twist on French toast!
- 4 slices bread of choice I like Ezekiel brand or Canyon Bakehouse for GF
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon canned full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted almond butter sub peanut, cashew, sunflower butter or tahini
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup sub honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Whisk together egg, coconut milk, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a shallow bowl.
- Heat a cast-iron or other nonstick skillet/griddle to medium heat. Soak a piece of bread in the egg mixture on each side, shaking off excess liquid, and place on the heated surface. Cook for 2-3 minutes, and flip when golden-brown. Repeat on remaining side--this should take a little less time, 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat with all bread slices (I can actually fit all 4 in the pan at once but will vary) and serve immediately. Suggested toppings: So Delicious whipped topping (in the freezer aisle near Cool Whip), yogurt, extra almond butter, granola, fresh fruit, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, maple syrup