Strawberry Date Buckwheat Muffins
If you've never given buckwheat a try, this recipe will convince you to make it a staple! Slightly nutty but fresh and sweet from the dates and strawberries, these muffins are a lovely summer snack or breakfast!
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries finely diced (at least 1/4" or smaller)
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup/1 stick melted butter sub vegan butter or coconut oil
- 2/3 cup Pitted medjool dates chopped into 1/4” pieces(approx 6 dates; buy with pit-in)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a 12 cup or 2 6-cup cupcake tins with liners. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk to incorporate.
- Add chopped strawberries to a separate mixing bowl, along with the 2 teaspoons coconut sugar. Stir and let sit 5 minutes. Stir in all remaining wet ingredients and whisk to incorporate.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and fold until incorporated. Add batter to all 12 cupcake tins; I personally love using a 2 ½ inch retractable ice cream scoop. You should have enough batter leftover for 2 more muffins. I dampen the scoop with water and do a generous scoop and it makes filling them so much easier! If there are “peaks” of batter sticking up, dampen your fingers and press them down so all muffins are an even height.
- Bake for 19 minutes, then cool 5 minutes before carefully removing from the cupcake tin and cooling on a rack. Cool another 15 minutes before enjoy. Muffins will keep tightly sealed on the counter for 48 hour or in the fridge for 5 days.