The Best Chewy Oatmeal Goat Cheese Cookies
If you like Oatmeal Raisin cookies, you'll be 100% smitten head-over-heels for these! You won't taste an obvious flavor of goat cheese, but it adds richness and a lovely 'tang'. These cookies are small, so you can enjoy several at a time without feeling weighed down!
- 3/4 cup spelt flour sub whole wheat, all-purpose of GF AP
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temp
- 1/3 cup plain goat cheese
- 1 cup coconut sugar sub light brown
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries sub chocolate chips, chopped nuts, raisins cranberries or cherries
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt.
- In a standing mixer, or in a bowl with a hand mixer, combine butter, goat cheese and coconut sugar. Cream ingredients together on medium-high speed until mixture lightens in color and has a fluffy texture, approximately 1 minute.
- Turn mixer to medium-low speed and add extract and egg yolk. Mix just until batter regains its fluffy consistency, 15-20 seconds.
- Fold wet batter into dry ingredients. This is a dry batter, so be patient--it will all come together!
- Fold in blueberries and coconut flakes, if using. Grab a small bowl of water and place it next to your lined baking sheets.
- Scoop one tightly packed tablespoon of dough per cookie onto baking sheet, leaving at least 1 inch between each. Dip tablespoon in water periodically to help prevent sticking.
- Dampen fingers and smooth out edges of the cookies as well as flatten the tops. You should have 1 1/2 inch wide cookie "discs".
- Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes, 7 if you like a softer cookie (my preference) and 9 if you like a chewier, crispier cookie.
- Allow to cool on slotted trays (ideally, but not crucial, can just cool on baking sheets) 10 minutes before enjoying.