Sesame Sushi Burritos (Vegan)
Sushi burritos are a thing, and they're delicious! Here's a vegan version that you can try for yourself.
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium tamari sub soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sea salt add to taste
- 2 teaspoons tahini or mayonnaise optional
- 2 8- ounce packages tempeh crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cooked grain of choice
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 11 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled carrot
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions/green onions
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds optional
- 1 package whole grain large tortillas
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil of choice. When oil is shimmering, add tempeh. Saute for 1 minute without stirring, allowing it to brown.
- Add 1/2 of your sauce and stir to incorporate and cooked grain of choice. Sauté another 8-10 minutes, stirring. Until tempeh has soaked up sauce. Remove from heat.
- Assemble burritos (you can heat these in the oven slightly beforehand). Place 1/3 cup tempeh/grain mixture on the left hand side of a tortilla, leaving a 1 inch margin around the edges. Add remaining toppings of choice and an extra drizzle of sauce, being sure to keep at least 1/2 of the tortilla empty.
- To roll, tuck in the bottom and top 1 inch of the tortilla. While tucking, roll tortilla closed starting from the food-filled side moving towards the empty side. Hold firmly for a few seconds to stick. Serve immediately.