Sweet & Spicy Turkey Meatballs (Homemade Hot Sauce Recipe)
These meatballs are super simple and flavorful on their own, but you can kick them up a notch with my homemade hot sauce for a perfect pre-game snack or potluck addition!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced into 1/4" pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium Tamari sub soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 large egg
- 2 lb ground turkey
HOT SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 2/3 cup white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup sriracha
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with nonstick parchment paper. Add avocado oil to small sauté pan and heat to medium-low. Once the oil moves quickly around the pan, add onion. Cook, stirring every minute or so, until onion is softened and translucent, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Once onion is finished cooking, add minced garlic and cook another minute, stirring nonstop. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool. To a large mixing bowl, add dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, almond flour, mustard, tamari, sea salt, black pepper, Sriracha and egg. Whisk until evenly combine, then add turkey. Once onion & garlic have been cooling at least 5 minutes, add to the bowl. Use clean hands to evenly incorporate all ingredients.
- Using slightly dampened hands or a dampened ice cream scoop, create 1 1/2” balls and add them to your lined baking sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until no pink remains in the center and the edges are golden brown. While baking, make your sauce. As soon as meatballs come out of the oven, drizzle them with as much sauce as you like and toss to coat. I love serving these with rice and roasted broccoli or brussels sprouts!
HOT SAUCE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Add all ingredients to a small sauce pot except starch, and whisk until well combined. Bring mixture to a simmer. One simmering and butter is melted, add starch to a small bowl and whisk with 2 teaspoons water. Pour mixture into sauce and stir another minute or two until thickened to where it coats the back of a spoon. Sauce will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.