Roasted Potato & Leek Vegan Frittata
You won't believe that these flavorful frittata squares are vegan!!! I was unsure too, but tofu really mimics egg in this recipe!
- 2 cups yukon gold potatoes chopped into 1" pcs(approx 1 med/small potato)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sweet yellow onion diced into 1/2 " pcs(approx 1/2 med onion)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons avocado or coconut oil
- 12 oz extra firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup canned full fat coconut milk sub unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons mellow/white miso paste optional
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups leeks rinsed of dirt & drained, dark part if leaves & based removed & sliced into 1/2 inch thick ribbons(approx 1 leek)
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with nonstick parchment paper, as well as an 8x8 casserole dish with parchment paper.
- Dice potato, place on baking sheet and toss with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt & a pinch of black pepper (half of the 1/4 tsp). No oil needed! Roast potatoes until golden brown around the edges and easy to pierce with a knife but not mushy, around 25 minutes. Set aside to cool. Turn oven heat down to 350 degrees F.
- Chop leeks, onion and garlic. Heat a large sauté pan to medium heat and add oil, along with a splash of water. When the water has small bubbles, add leeks and onions. Cook, stirring every minutes or so, until softened and translucent—approximately 10 minutes. You can add small splashes of water as necessary to prevent burning/sticking.
- After 10 minutes, add minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, another minute. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool. In a food processor, combine tofu, mustard, milk, miso paste, nutritional yeast, turmeric, remaining teaspoon sea salt (I actually add another 1/2 teaspoon) and remaining pinch black pepper. Puree until completely smooth.
- Pour tofu mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add in roasted potatoes, leek/onion mixture and green peas. Stir until ingredients are evenly incorporated. Pour frittata mixture into your casserole dish. Spread in an even layer. Bake for 1 hour, or until top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.