Jumbo Chocolate Banana Muffins
Moist banana bread meets fudgey chocolate muffin goodness. Need I say more? Oh, they're grain and gluten-free!
- jumbo muffin tin
- oil spray for greasing tins
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder I use Hershey's Special Dark
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated monkfruit sweetener sub coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder optional but recommended
- 3/4 cup well-mashed ripe banana approximately 1 1/2 bananas
- 1/3 cup avocado oil sub coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin well.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together eggs (check for shells!), monkfruit, espresso powder, mashed banana, avocado oil and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until creamy and combined. Fold in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Evenly scoop batter into muffin tins, approximately ½ cup per muffin. Give a gentle shake to make sure batter is evenly distributed, then add a few chocolate chips on top of each.
- Bake for 25 - 28 minutes, until a toothpick comes out mostly clean but has a bit of batter.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edges to loosen. Gently lift onto a cooling rack and cool another 15-20 minutes before enjoying.
- Once completely cooled, leftovers will keep tightly sealed at room temperature up to three days or frozen 4 months.