High Protein Creamy Mushroom Alfredo
Everything comforting, umami rich and craving-satisfying in this dairy-free Mushroom Alfredo pasta! You could also serve this sauce over 'zoodles' or spaghetti squash for Whole 30.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 8 ounces pasta of choice I like spaghetti noodles
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms button or baby bella
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium Tamari sub soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses sub maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dark balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black peper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock sub vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast plus more to taste
- Add cashews to a bowl with hot tap water (not boiling) and allow to soak for 1 hour.
- While cashews are soaking, cook pasta slightly all dente according to package directions (1-2 minutes less than recommended time).
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp towel and set aside. Chop onion into 1/4 inch pieces, approximately 1 cup, and set aside. Minced garlic cloves and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tamari, molasses, balsamic, dijon, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium and add olive oil. When oil moves easily around the pan, add mushrooms and onions. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms have significantly reduced in size and any extra liquid has evaporated, approximately 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add garlic, as well as tamari mixture. Cook, stirring, until garlic is softened and fragrant, approximately 1 minute. Add 1 cup chicken stock and allow mixture to simmer.
- While mixture is simmering, add drained cashews to a blender, along with remaining 1/2 cup stock and nutritional yeast. Puree until smooth.
- Add cashew puree to pan and stir to combine. Simmer mixture until it has reduced in size by approximately 1/3. It is ready when you scrape a spoon through it and the liquid doesn't run back together.
- Add noodles and cook until warmed through, 2-3 minutes. Taste for more taste, pepper and/or nutritional yeast. Serve immediately.