Healthy Snickers Truffles
That's right, these vegan, gluten and dairy-free energy balls taste like your favorite candy bar!
- 1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large medjool dates pitted
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Line a baking sheet with nonstick parchment paper. Add peanuts to a blender and pulse until crushed into a chunky flour. Empty into a small shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together cashew butter, coconut flour, maple syrup, coconut sugar and vanilla extract. Allow to sit 10 minutes, and it should turn into a dough-like consistency that you manipulate.
- Scooping 1 tablespoon dough per truffle, roll dough into 8 balls and place on baking sheet. Use your pointer finger to press a well into the center of each ball. Cut your medjool dates into 8 even pieces, then roll each date piece into a ball and place one in each well.
- Close up each ball of dough, so that the date piece stays in the center and isn’t visible. Roll each back into a nice round shape.
- Grab your crushed peanuts and gently press your truffles into them, coating as evenly as possible. You will need to pat the peanuts into the dough, so that they don’t fall off. I find that it’s easier to press peanuts into the dough and again roll it between my hands to smooth the sides and make sure the peanuts stick.
- Place truffles side by side on the baking sheet and place in the freezer. In the meantime, grab a double boiler or create one and add chocolate chips and coconut oil. To make a double-boiler, add 1-2 inches water to a small saucepan and turn to low heat. Place a heatproof bowl on top (glass, pyrex or stainless steel), making sure that the bottom of the bowl won’t touch the water in the saucepan. Place chocolate chips and oil in the bowl and stir constantly until melted.
- As soon as the last chocolate chip melts, remove from the heat and allow to cool 5 minutes. Grab truffles from the freezer. Add each truffle to the chocolate, gently turning to coat, then remove with a fork or slotted spoon, shaking off excess chocolate. Place again on baking sheet. Sprinkle with extra crushed peanuts and place bake in freezer for 20 minutes. Once frozen, peel off the parchment and you can enjoy immediately OR you can put them in Tupperware and place in the fridge 30 minutes to achieve ideal consistency. Keep leftovers in the fridge up to 1 week.