Asian Chicken Lettuce Cups
A healthier, more delicious version of a favorite Asian-inspired dish, which is also a completely cinch to throw together. Dine out in your house!
- 2 large or 3 small medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup peanut butter unsalted, unsweetened (sub almond butter or tahini)
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari sub soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 6 ounce can water chestnuts diced (sub 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce green cabbage or sturdy bibb lettuce
- Garnish ideas: shredded carrots sliced cabbage, sliced scallions, sesame seeds
- In a large mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, sesame oil, tamari, honey, lime juice, garlic, sriracha and sea salt. Whisk thoroughly.
- Heat a large sauté pan or wok to medium-high heat. Add coconut oil. When oil is shimmering but not smoking, add minced chicken. Allow to pop, crackle and brown around the edges before flipping. Turn heat down if you see smoking.
- When chicken is golden brown and cooked through (approx. 4-5 mins), turn off heat and allow to cool 5 minutes. Add your peanut sauce, reserving 1/4 cup. Add water chestnuts or almonds and stir everything to combine.
- Serve chicken in lettuce cups with an extra drizzle of sauce, carrots, cabbage and scallions.