Apple Cinnamon Crockpot Steel Cut Oatmeal
Take five minutes to throw this dish together, and you have the coziest breakfast to enjoy throughout the week! Perfect for busy schedules and families.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 15 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg optional
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup more or less to taste
- 1 sweet red apple chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 tablespoon flax meal
- Combine all ingredients except vanilla extract and flax meal in a crockpot. Stir to combine. Turn to low heat, cover and cook for 4-7 hours. Shorter time will mean a chewier oatmeal and longer will be creamier.
- At the end of cooking, stir in vanilla extract and flax meal, if using. Serve immediately, or store in a glass container (if using plastic, cool completely first) to eat throughout the week. I like to portion mine individually into small glass jars.
- REHEATING INSTRUCTIONS: Add a serving of oatmeal to a small pot, along with 1/2 cup water. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring, until oatmeal is creamy and warmed through. Add more water to taste. Topping suggestions: raisins, dried chopped apple rings, almond butter, extra cinnamon, toasted coconut flakes, chia seeds