30 minute Sweet Potato & Curry Lentil Stew
Easy, delicious comfort in a bowl, this creamy Lentil Curry is a savior on winter nights where you don't have time or energy for a complicated meal. Enjoy it throughout the week over rice or extra veggies and your body will thank you!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1/2 large sweet onion chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup red lentils washed thoroughly
- 2 bay leaves
- Add ghee to a sauce pot (at least 4 quarts) and turn to medium heat. When Ghee is melted, add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until translucent and fragrant.
- Add garlic and sea salt, curry, turmeric, cumin and black. Sauté another minute, stirring. Add tomato paste, chicken stock, sweet potatoes, lentils and bay leaves. Stir everything together and turn heat to a simmer.
- Simmer stew for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Remove bay leaves. Optional--blend stew with an immersion blender or blend in a mixer for a creamier texture.