Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Pecan & Sage Crumble
An homage to the glory of cauliflower, this cozy, hearty and elegant dish is perfect for the holidays! Serve it as a side, or even as a vegetarian entree!
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil plus more for greasing skilelt
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Trim the base and leaves off of your cauliflower. Using a sharp knife, core out a few inches of the cauliflower stem, making sure to keep the head intact.
- Place cauliflower in a cast-iron or oven proof skillet. If using an oven-proof skillet, grease the bottom with a teaspoon or two avocado oil. Rub cauliflower evenly with avocado and sea salt.
- Wrap entire skillet with aluminum foil. I like to take a long piece of aluminum foil and place them skillet on top in the middle, then wrap. Roast for 45 minutes, then remove foil. Roast another 30 minutes, until knife-tender but not mushy. You can broil it for a few minutes as well, if you want a darker golden color on top.
- WHILE CAULIFLOWER IS ROASTING: Add pecans to a baking dish and place on another rack in the oven. Roast for 8 minutes, or until fragrant and slightly darkened in color. Set aside to cool 5 minutes, then chop.
- Heat a small saute pan to low heat and add butter, garlic and sage. Cook, stirring, until garlic is softened and fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add chopped pecans and toss to coat in butter mixture. Set aside. When cauliflower comes out of the oven, sprinkle with pecan crumble and enjoy immediately! Feel free to add salt to taste.