Ooey Gooey Strawberries & Cream Bars
Heavenly summer goodness! I use a sugar-free sweetener to lighten these bars up, and I think they will be your new favorite BBQ or potluck dessert!
- 3/4 cup plus 2tablespoons all purpose flour sub AP einkorn flour, spelt flour, whole wheat pastry flour or GF AP flour
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup granulated monkfruit sweetener brand linked below; sub 1 cup coconut sugar or 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cool to room temperature(sub melted refined coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated monkfruit sweetener subs apply as above
- 2 large room temperature eggs
- 1 cup chunky strawberry jam I use Bon Maman strawberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick parchment paper. I use binder clips to hold the sides down (you can keep them on during baking).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt and monkfruit. In a smaller bowl, whisk together almond extract and butter. Add wet to dry and use clean hands to mix into a crumble consistency (it will be a little sticky. If it seems to dry, just keep working it or add 1 tablespoon water).
- Press approximately 2/3 of your crumble mixture into the baking dish and pat firmly into an even layer.
- In the same bowl you used for butter/extract, whisk together sour cream, sugar and eggs until smooth and creamy. Pour over crumble base. Evenly dollop strawberry jam over cream layer, then use a fork or knife to swirl together.
- Top evenly with remaining 1/3 crumble. Bake for 35 minutes, then cool 45 minutes before refrigerating for at least 2 hours and ideally overnight. After refrigeration, use a sharp knife to slice into whatever sized pieces you prefer. Remember--they're supposed to be gooey!
- Leftover bars will keep tightly sealed in the fridge up to 5 days or frozen 4 months.