Hawaiian Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
This versatile, tropical-inspired Instant Pot chicken is moist, fall-apart tender and packed with addicting flavors.
HAWAIIAN CHICKEN INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates approximately 4
- 1/3 cup low-sodium Tamari sub soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice approximately 1 lime
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove optional
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion diced into 1/2" pieces
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups fresh or canned pineapple chunks**
- hard shell or soft tacos
- fresh cilantro
- Sliced avocado
- lime wedges
- sliced red onion
- In a blender, combine 1/4 cup water, dates, tamari, molasses, lime juice, paprika, cinnamon and cloves. Blend until it forms a thick and creamy sauce texture. If necessary, add a tablespoon of water at a time to get it blending. *NOTE: if you prefer NOT to have pineapple chunks in the finished product, you can add pineapple to the blender as well.
- In an instant pot, combine chicken, bell pepper, onion, garlic and pineapple. Pour sauce on top, and stir to combine evenly.
- Set Instant Pot to 35 minutes and cook (you can also press the meat/stew setting). Allow to come to pressure naturally (instead of turning it to “vent” after it’s finished cooking). If there is more liquid than you like, set Instant Pot to “saute” and saute until liquid has evaporated. You will more likely need to do this if you pureed the pineapple into the sauce.
- Use two forks or tongs to shred the chicken. Serve immediately, however you like! Storage: allow to cool almost completely before placing in a sealed container. If you want to refrigerate it before cooled, leave the lid off the container. Once cooled, seal with a lid and refrigerate up to 5 days. You can also freeze chicken up to 3 months.
**If using canned, get the one only in juice without added sugar. Drain before measuring. If using fresh, chop into 3/4" pieces