Good as Grandma's Broccoli and Biscuit Casserole
This is a wonderful comfort food recipes for my friends with autoimmune conditions or intolerances to dairy and gluten!
- 2 medium yellow squash sliced into 1" thick rounds, approximately 2 lbs
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes in oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups low sodium organic chicken broth sub vegetable broth for vegan
- 1 inch large head broccolicut into 2 inch florets approximately 3 cups
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup bulgur wheat sub quinoa for gluten free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet white onion small dice, ½ inch
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 roasted chicken meat pulled and roughly chopped (approximately 3 cups) Sub 15 oz can chickpeas for vegan
Almond Flour Biscuits (adapted from Elana's Pantry)
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegaror lemon juice
- ¼ cup coconut oilmelted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 eggs sub flax eggs for vegan: 2 tbsp flax meal plus 6 tbsp water, sit 10 minutes
- In a high speed blender, combine squash, sundried tomatoes, tahini, nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon salt and broth. Puree until completely smooth.
- Cook broccoli: Fill a large pot with 4 quarts water and heat to boiling. Add 1 teaspoon salt. When water is boiling, add broccoli florets and cook for 90 seconds. Empty into a colander and rinse with cold water until florets are room temperature. Set aside.
- Cook bulgur: Heat 1 cup water and 1 cup broth to boiling. Add ½ teaspoon salt and bulgur. Stir quickly, cover and remove from heat. Allow to sit 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Use a fork to fluff.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large dutch-oven or deep sauté pan to medium-high. Add olive oil. When oil is shimmering, add onions and garlic. Sauté until translucent and fragrant, approximately 3-4 minutes. Take care not to leg garlic burn.
- Add broccoli florets, chicken, bulgur and 2 ¼ cups squash mixture. Stir together.
- Top with almond flour biscuits and bake for 35 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown around the edges.
Almond Flour Biscuits
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, maple syrup and eggs.
- Add wet to dry and stir to incorporate. Form into a large ball and use a ¼ cup measure to make biscuits for casserole.
- Biscuits should be approximately 3 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick.