Glazed Carrot Cake Energy Bites
Your favorite cake, in portable, nutrient dense and EASY to make form! These are a perfect pre-workout snack, and they're fun to make with kids as a healthier treat around Halloween!
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1 packed cup grated carrot (approximately 1 large carrot)
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 packed cup medjool dates approximately 10 (buy with the pit in and pit them yourself)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons runny almond butter
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add walnuts to one side of the baking sheet. Do not overlap.
- In a small bowl, combine carrots, 1 teaspoon maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Toss to coat, then spread carrots in a thin layer on the empty half of the baking sheet. Roast carrots and walnuts for 12 minutes, then allow to cool 10 minutes.
- While carrots and walnuts are roasting, combine oats, coconut flakes, dates, remaining 3 teaspoons maple syrup, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and sea salt in a food processor. Process until mixture forms a chunky crumble.
- When cooled, add carrots and walnuts to food processor. Place a fresh piece of parchment on baking sheet. Process until mixture forms a sticky dough—you should be able to pinch dough and it will stick. If dough isn't sticking, add a few more pitted dates and pulse to incorporate.
- Turn dough out onto a baking sheet and press into a large ball. Roll 2 tablespoons dough per bite and place side by side. Freeze bites while you make Glaze.
- Make Glaze by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl. If isn't runny, microwave for 20 seconds or so until it is. Pull bites out of freezer, roll each in Glaze and return to baking sheet. Place bites back in the freezer for 20 minutes before enjoying. Place leftover bites in a tightly sealed container and keep refrigerated.