Farro & Sweet Potato Risotto
Creamy, chewing, nutty comfort food that you can feel fantastic eating. This is perfect for cozy fall or winters days as a side dish or as an entree, with some protein added.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced into 1" cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium Tamari sub soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage sliced into thin ribbons
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted pecans roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place farro in a bowl with 3 cups room temperature water and 1 tablespoon lemon juice or apple cider vinegar and soak overnight. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add sweet potatoes and 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss to coat. Bake for 20 minutes or until fork-tender but not mushy. *I recommend setting a timer as you are multitasking!
- While sweet potatoes are baking, combine chicken broth and coconut milk in a sauce pot and heat to a simmer. Leave as is—you want the liquid warm throughout with only gentle bubbling around the edges.
- Next, heat a large sauté pan to medium with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. When oil is slightly shimmering, add garlic and shallots and sauté for 1 minute, until fragrant and softened. Add farro and sea salt, stirring frequently, and sauté another 3-4 minutes or until farro is a golden brown and smells nutty. Add apple cider and tamari, and cook until liquid has evaporated, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Now, begin adding broth mixture in 1/2 cup increments to the farro, stirring constantly. Only add more liquid when the first 1/2 cup has evaporated. Repeat this for all of the liquid until farro is creamy and tender (it will still have a bit of chew, due to the nature of the grain). Stir in sage, sweet potatoes and fresh black pepper. When serving, top with chopped pecans.
- TO REHEAT: Add to a saucepan with a splash of water. Turn to medium heat and stir until warmed through.