Creamy Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
Everything you want on a chilly fall afternoon--creamy, warm, nourishing and of course, easy to throw together!
- 5 cup sweet potatoes chopped into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 sweet onion chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 25 oz chicken stock low sodium
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoon tamari sub low sodium soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch optional
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a large baking sheet with parchment. Add sweet potatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to baking sheet. Stir to coat evenly and make sure sweet potatoes do not overlap. Roast for 40 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork and golden brown around the edges.
- While potatoes are roasting, make the rest of your soup. Heat a large pot to medium high and add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. When oil is shimmering slightly, add onion and saute until translucent and fragrant, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and saute another minute. Add stock, wine, molasses, tamari, remaining salt, bay leaves and nutmeg. Stir and turn to a simmer (small bubbles around the edge).
- Allow soup to simmer for 15 minutes and then add roasted sweet potatoes from the oven. Remove bay leaves. Carefully!!! ladle soup into a large blender or use an immersion blender. Puree until smooth. Add soup back to pot and If you would like to thicken it, add arrowroot starch to a bowl with 3 tablespoons water. Stir and add mixture to soup.
- Add fresh greens into your soup to serve or top with crushed walnuts or avocado.