Cauliflower Apple, Sage & Pecan Dressing
Vegan, paleo, low-carb and gluten-free...oh and DELICIOUS...my take on classic Southern Thanksgiving "dressing" will knock your socks off. If you want all the richness and flavor of the traditional dish, but in much healthier form, this is the dish for you!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup raw pecans
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/4-1/2 cup nutritional yeast more for a cheesier flavor
- 2 teaspoons sea salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 24 ounces cauliflower chopped into 2" florets(approx. 2 medium heads)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup celery 1/4" thick slices(approx 2 large or 3 sm stalks)
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion 1/4 inch dice(approx 1 medium)
- 1/4 cup shallots minced(approx 2 small or 1 large)
- 1 large red apple
- Grab an 8x11.5x2 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. While oven is preheating, add cashews and 1 cup hot water to a bowl (doesn’t need to be boiling, just hot tap water). Allow to sit 15 minutes, then drain.
- When oven is ready, add pecans to a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until slightly darker in color and fragrant. Set aside to cool, then roughly chop. *between waiting for the cashews to soak/oven to preheat/pecans to cook, I take any extra time to chop veggies.
- While pecans are roasting, add cashews, stock and nutritional yeast to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary and sage. Set aside.
- Add cauliflower florets to a food processor in 2 batches, pulsing until they form the consistency of short-grain rice. Add cauliflower to your casserole dish (or use a mixing bowl, but I like to clean as little as possible!).
- Heat a large soup pot or braising pot (something with high sides) to medium heat and add olive oil. When oil is lightly shimmering, add onion and celery. Cook, stirring every minute or so, until vegetables are softened and translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add shallots and cook, stirring, another minute.
- Carefully stir in cauliflower “rice”, as well as the spice/herb mixture you prepared. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring every minute or so, until cauliflower has softened and reduced in size. While cauliflower is cooking, chop apple into 3/4 inch pieces.
- Turn off heat, and stir in apples, chopped pecans and stock/cashew liquid. Mix until evenly incorporated. Taste for more salt and add accordingly.
- Carefully scoop mixture into baking dish, packing it in as you go. It should all fit perfectly, but you can also use a larger baking dish (9x13x2) if you’d prefer.
- Bake dressing for 1 hour, until edges are golden brown and set. Allow to cool 5 minutes before topping with extra pecans and serving.