Bourbon Balsamic Mushrooms
This is a go-to quick, easy and flavorful holiday side dish.
- 16 ounces sliced white button or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil strongly recommend butter!
- 2 tablespoons dark balsamic vinegar look for 'aged' or 'reduced'
- 2 tablespoons bourbon whatever you like! I prefer Woodford
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- If mushrooms have dirt on them, wipe with a damp dish towel.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or nonstick saute pan to medium heat and add butter or oil. When butter has melted and is lightly bubbling, or when oil moves easily around the pan, add mushrooms. Cook, stirring every minute or two, until the liquid they release has evaporated and they have some golden-brown edges, approximately 12 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add balsamic, bourbon, salt and pepper. Stir to incorporate and cook, stirring, another 1-2 minutes, until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms have a nice glossy coating. Taste for more salt and enjoy immediately!
- Mushrooms will keep tightly sealed in the refrigerator up to 6 days or frozen 4-6 months.
- Tips for other ways to use these mushrooms: smothered on a burger or steak with my caramelized onions, subbed for meat in my French Dip Calzones, served with a breakfast plate of fried eggs and bacon for a low-carb veggie option, a top pesto & avocado toast