- APPLE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 cups apples, peeled & chopped into 1/2" pieces (I use fuji or honeycrisp)
- 2 tablespoons granulated monkfruit sweetener (I like Lakanto brand; sub white sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (can sub regular AP flour)
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Scant 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (room temp; measure ½ cup and remove 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup granulated monkfruit sweetener (I like Lakanto brand; sub white sugar)
- 1/2 packed cup light brown sugar (sub coconut sugar)
- 3 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 cup avocado oil
- GLAZE INGREDIENTS:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (sub refined coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons milk of choice
- 1/4 packed cup light brown sugar
- Make Apples: Heat a large skillet to medium and add oil. When oil moves quickly around the pan, add apples. Saute, stirring every few minutes, until apples are softened with golden-brown edges, 8-10 minutes. You can add splashes of water as needed to prevent too much sticking. Add monkfruit and cinnamon and stir until incorporated. Scrape into a heat-proof bowl and refrigerate.
- Make Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and place your bundt mold on a baking sheet. I go ahead and spray oil/grease the mold, just for extra protection from sticking!
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together GF AP flour, almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine applesauce, monkfruit, brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and fold until just combined, then fold in sauteed apples (make sure they’re fully cooled).
- Add batter to the bundt mold and tap gently to release any air bubbles. Bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick comes out mostly clean (look for a few little crumbs, but it shouldn’t be wet-looking). Cool in the mold 25 minutes.
- Make Caramel Glaze during this time: Combine all three ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and simmer one minute, stirring constantly. Set aside.
- Remove cake from the mold and glaze immediately. Cool cake another 30 minutes before slicing. Once completely cooled, cake will keep, covered, at room temperature for 2 days, then in the fridge another 4 days. You can also freeze cake up to 4 months.