TOTAL TIME :10minutes15minutes
- scant 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I use one 3.9 oz cup), room temp
- 1/2 stick/ 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temp
- 1/2 cup unsalted, creamy peanut butter (make sure it's drippy/pourable; brand linked below)
- 1/2 cup monkfruit sweetener (brand linked below)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose einkorn or spelt flour (sub GF all purpose or whole wheat pastry)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup jam of choice (I prefer strawberry or raspberry) (brand linked below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with nonstick parchment paper.
- In a standing mixer or a large mixing bowl, if using hand mixers, combine applesauce, butter, peanut butter, monkfruit and coconut sugar.
- Mix on low speed 30 seconds until somewhat incorporated. Scrape down the sides, then mix again, turning up to medium-high, until mixture is fluffy and lightened in color, approximately another minute.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix on medium-low until JUST incorporated, approximately 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add wet mixture to dry and fold until JUST incorporated. Scoop and roll approximately 2 ½ tablespoons mixture each into 9 or 10 balls and place on baking sheet, leaving at least 2” between each.
- Use a dampened thumb to create an indent into each ball (approximately ¼” deep & ½” wide). Fill each indentation with approximately ¾ teaspoon jam.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes, then cool 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Cool another 10 minutes before enjoying.
- Repeat with remaining batter. I usually do three rounds of 9 cookies each. I personally don’t recommend baking multiple batches at once, but you can play around with it!
Cookies will keep tightly sealed at room temperature up to three days or frozen 6 months.